"The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken places."- Ernest Hemingway

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Truth

After church today I set out on a little adventure to take some photos. I felt very driven to take pictures of things that I was directed to...and not necessarily that I was drawn to personally. I felt directed to take photos of things that I felt represented Truth. I didn't want to take photos of people or of myself. Frankly...because in people there can be miss-truths, deception. But in objects there is no deception- only existence, and the simplicity in that is both beautiful and powerful.

I knew I had found the right place when as I got out of the car to take my first shot, I noticed that I was directly placed between two extremely significant numbers in my life. I was on the right track, and doing what it was that I needed to do.



I was first inspired by this shot because of the fall leaf colors. I appreciated the strong grasp of the angel on the cross and I loved the greenery in the background.



After the comma on this memorial follows a very lengthy and personal note to this woman's father. I always pause to read it when I am here as I am surprised at the raw emotion memorialized in this granite forever. It's very vulnerable. The first part is vulnerable enough for me. So it's here, in this shot.



Gorgeous, beautiful angels. The second had a rain drop on her chin that caught the light.

It looked like a tear.


It was apropos that I got on my knees to take this shot. I love the halo behind the cross.


To me, this is the crux. To love, be loved and give love. Freely. To love those who you have wronged and those who have wronged you. None of the things I saw today said "great employee" or "will be missed for her ability to meet deadlines". The words people choose to remember others by are those that we may choose to live by, while we are still here: family, humor, love, wife, husband, mother, father, kindness.
Honesty.
SUCCESS
To laugh often and much
to win the respect of intelligent people
and affection of children;
to earn the
appreciation
of honest critics and
endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit
better, whether by a healthy child
a garden patch or redeemed
social condition; to know even
one life has breathed easier because
you have lived. This is to have
succeeded.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson


No comments:

Post a Comment