"The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken places."- Ernest Hemingway

Saturday, March 3, 2012

body and mind


As the biting cold wind entered my lungs on this morning's run, conversely, my face was warmed by the sun. I could feel the strain of my muscles and the pain of my inhalation at the same time that I felt the joy of being on the trail and the peace of hearing my breath in harmony with my feet. For today was the first day since I had surgery six weeks ago that I ran.

The body is an incredible machine. To think that I was unable to walk unassisted this time 6 weeks ago...and that today I was running, is fantastic to me. It is symbolic not only of our body's great capacity for transformation and healing but also of our mind's and our spirit's. It was a solid, fleshly reminder to me that in due time, all things heal.

This week was also a week for great accomplishment of my mind. I was celebrated for having a 4.0 gpa and was encouraged to apply for a grant, which I did. I have to say- 4.0 in a Bachelor's of Science program!! Ok...moment of bragging is over.

But still...
4.0 :-)

This one body. This one mind. This one spirit and this one soul. All working together for this finite time, on this finite planet. How can each day, scratch that- each moment- not be perceived as a complete and genuine miracle?

No comments:

Post a Comment