"The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken places."- Ernest Hemingway

Sunday, May 22, 2011

It's Been Awhile...

...since I have had such a fulfilling, complete and thought provoking weekend. And because of these things, very challenging.

I attended a 2 day Christian Women's Conference with a dear friend. By the end of the conference- actually during the very last worship song, we were dissolved to tears and just clinging to each other. I know that makes it sound like the whole thing was emotional but really, it wasn't. I think it was just that we had taken in so much, explored so many layers of our selves and marinated in God and his grace for 2 full days that we were simply wiped out.

Now that I have had a day and a half to absorb...I want to relay a few things that stuck out to me. Since I am a super-nerd, and I love to study and learn, I made notes :-D.

These are snippets of fabric from the big quilt that was this conference. They may make no sense to you, as my reader, out of context with my life. But they sure mean a lot to me. What I highlighted in bold lettering is the main idea that stood out to me, with the surrounding description as the supporting detail.

~Theme verse of the conference: Romans 12:2 "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Yes, yes...and yes.

~When I am in a "FUNK", it can look like this: F: Focus is off and Feelings prevail. U: I am Under the problem and not above it. N: I am needy and whiny. K: I am Keeping the cycle going.
Consider this: how would you feel if you knew God was ALWAYS guiding you?

~Steven Tyler said: "I want to make compassion the new black". I love this. So much.

~One of the speakers was talking about how sometimes you know a couple where both the man and the woman just seem to fit perfectly. My friend laughed and looked at me...which kinda made me think she was thinking of me and my husband. I sure was. The speaker likened those couples to "Tupperware", where the lid and the container...just fit. I loved that visual. So simply romantic. So simply beautiful. How lucky I am to have found my Tupperware. Talking to other people in my life can and does often feel so friggin difficult. Like pulling teeth...or like torture. Talking, real talking with my husband is...easy. It always has been. I think that is why there are no divides between us. No secrets. Because it would be like keeping a secret from yourself.

~Sinners don't change because we throw rocks. Oh boy...do I haul rocks. That is NOT good. I struggle with the fine balance of protecting my family and myself and having compassion for others. I am truly that person who will give you the shirt off my back. I don't say that with pride...because in most of my life, that has been used against me as a weakness. But throwing rocks, or being accusatory, punitive or confrontational to those who I believe have sinned against me will not change those people. Compassion does.

~Insidious and destructive behavior can slowly seep into our lives. We usually don't screw up 100% overnight. We do it by slowly, and over time, turning down the volume of our consciousness. Let me always remember to keep that volume high.

~Often times we wonder how we know if we are hearing the word of God. If it follows God's character and God's word, it is God speaking to our hearts. We must listen.

~Isaiah 30:21: I was once again led to my "life verse". I didn't know this was my life verse...because I didn't even know that was a term until this weekend. I heard that term a few times this weekend and thought to myself that it sure would be neat to choose a life verse. But how would I begin? Where should I look? A few hours later (and to go into the detail of how it happened here would be a whole nother blog...but trust me, it was gooood), I was once again drawn to my life verse. Isaiah 30:21. If you're not familiar, crack a Bible and check it out. It brings me absolute and untold comfort in my life.

~A fool is known by the multitude of his words.
Oh boy...so true. I am learning...listen more. Talk less.

Which brings me to a close.

It was a lovely time.
I am thankful.
I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment